Well, I’m done with A HAUNTING.  I sent off my last episode a couple weeks ago. The good news is that the ratings started out good, and only got better and better. So that means that another season is a strong possibility.  Although if it happened it might not be for a while…pre-production and writing and then production.  But now I’m getting ahead of myself.

If you want to see the episodes I edited, they can be found on YouTube.  Dark Dreams and Nightmare in Bridgeport.  My favorite episode that I cut as yet to air.  It airs on Friday, December 7 on Destination America.

The show was fun to work on. Cutting recreations that were more like full scenes with interviews interspersed throughout…instead of using them as b-roll over VO and interviews.  This was more like cutting narrative, which I really enjoy cutting.  I had scripts that were short, so I had cuts that came in a minute short…and then needed to struggle to not only find the extra minute, but the other 4:30 for the international “snap ins.”  I also had scripts that were 20 pages long, and thus my cuts were 20 min long. This presented it’s own issues…sure, I now had plenty of footage for snap ins, but with that much extra, I’m faced with cutting really good scenes, and often cutting scenes that help tie the whole story together.

We did use a lot of Boris Continuum Complete effects…and I relied a lot on the Paint Effect tricks I learned years ago.  We did have an editor who was an effects wiz, so he made some presets we could drop onto clips..and that really helped. Tweaking those effects allowed me to familiarize myself with Boris a bit more.

On the technical side, I started the show cutting on Avid Symphony 6.0 on my MacPro Octo 3.0Ghz tower (with AJA Kona 3), but then almost immediately began beta testing of Avid Symphony 6.5 and resorting to the new MacBook Pro 2012 non-retina with AJA IoXT…and the ability to have more “voices” of audio so I could layer in more audio into my temp mix.  And the AAFs exported perfectly to ProTools.  I also needed to resort to working in my bedroom, as my home office is my garage, and it isn’t insulated. And we had two very hot months here in LA.

The only issues I had with Symphony 6.5 was a Segmentation Fault error when I tried exporting H.264 QT’s after working for a while on a project. It would export fine if I just opened and then exported.  But work for a while, and export…I’d get that error.  And during the entire time I used Symphony 6.5…including the two month beta testing period…I only crashed twice.  Pretty stable system.  As opposed to the current Avid 6.0.3 system I am editing with on my current gig.  Shared Storage setup running EditShare, on an iMac.  Crashed 2-3 times a day…segmentation faults that would cause Avid to quit.  Updating to 6.0.3.2 helped greatly…now I only crash once a week.

So yes, I’ve moved onto my next show. In an office with multiple editors and assistants.  Shared projects and shared storage.  I’ll be working on Act 4 of show 103 on day, then Act 2 of show 105 the next, then re-arranging show 106 for the rest of the week.  Reality show, so I’m getting my toes wet in that field again.